Monday, March 26, 2007

Can you please write it and give me...

Recently, I have realized the power and effectiveness of the statement "Can you please write it and give me"..

Let me explain...

I have registered for the BSNL broad band connection nine months back and have not got it yet. So I went to customer care, and asked the lady behind the counter about the status, and she very casually asked me to go to some RTNagar exchange and find out.

"Why cant you do it?" I asked..

"Nopes we dont have any person here who is responsible for the internet connections" she said

"Can you please write it and give me?" I said , "Please write that a customer has come to enquire for net connection and I cant help but ask him to go to some other place"

"No I cant do that", She said

"Why not?" I asked

"Because I am not responsible for the net connections" she said.

"Ok in that case, please write and give me that Customer Care is not responsible for net connections, for this kind of things customers are required to go exchange and find out", I persisted, "See, I dont want to complain, but just I want to figure out where I have to go for what"

Thats it, she started calling some numbers, gave my details, retrieved the information and told me.

Never mind what the information was, but I got some answer, and I avoided running to someother place.

This is the third time that I have employed this technique, First at the railway reservation and second at ICICI, and this time here.

I guess it works because people are afraid to give in writing, because they know that it is their responsibility and they are just running away from it. So if you persist, they would solve the problem for you.

Please use this freely, you dont have to be rude and all. Be nice and very straight. Trust me it works....

Cheers..

11 comments:

Amarjeet Singh said...

Thats the power of RTI (Right to Information). A lot of organizations are now fighting for its implementation. Quite a few states including karnataka have passed this act. There have been incidents (even i know of a few) where people have exercised this and benefited. So next time you ask in writing, you should realize that its your right given to you by Govt of India and they cant deny to give you in writing. :)

Anonymous said...

So true Goli.. there is just no such thing called Customer Satisfication in INDIA.

You have to fight it out..get ur creative instinct push them to do the work.

It may be either a Barber or an employer.. you have to consistently persist them for wat you want.. it is only then they respond..

Alistair D'souza said...

hmmmm.... my love affair with BSNL has also gone sour.... been visiting them fro the past couple of months.. and am pissed off with the customer service... in all these months they have not ever called me once to update me about the status of my application which was done in oct last year... am thinking of going to consumer court and writing an article in the papers...

Vaidehi Dongre said...

nice technique u used! u shud be in politics :)

Goli said...

@Amarjeet, I had read about RTI sometime back, I guess I should read more about it. Wanna understand it.

@anonymous, Yups I guess more the number of people start following it, the more they will start responding.

@Alistair... Get it in writing from them.

@Vaidehi... hmmm you are giving me a nice career option..:D

Unknown said...

yes its truly no0w a democratic country and happy now word of mouth is gone loads have been charted by it paper is best proof one can give and just lovely blog and equally apprpriate post

Anonymous said...

Hey Goli,
This experience is GR8, we all can employ such trick..n i believe we need this trick daily in a place like India..isn't it??

Goli said...

@protegeoflife.. Thanks alot.
@anonymous... I think you should employ this trick. It is very useful and effective.

Deena Rodrigues said...

visit your blog.. visit your blog....

Pritesh Jain said...

Nice one dude. It really works. I myself have tried this sometime. Also try asking them for their superviser if they dont know who is supposed to do what. :)

Anonymous said...

Niice and sweet short story...I enjoyed reading it.