Saturday, June 07, 2008

How much do we own?

"
As Alexander wandered around north-west India around the fourth-century BC, he queried a group of Jain monks on why they were not paying him much attention. He got the following reply:
King Alexander, every man can possess only so much of the earth's surface as this we are standing on. You are but human like the rest of us, save that you are always busy and up to no good, travelling so many miles from your home, a nuisance to yourself and to others!... You will soon be dead, and you will own just as much of the earth as will suffice to bury you.
"
I had read this in Prasanna blog long time ago, but this thing has struck on me. This kind of keeps giving me a warning bell, whenever I get angry at someone or I hold a grudge against someone. Because just things in life come and go, people come and go, relationships keep changing, cities keep changing, and what would just remain finally is some photographs, some mails, some gifts, some moments struck in memory. And most always or not, in retrospect, when I think of the above quote, I regret all the grudges/quarrels that I have had, all the times my self esteem has prevented me from telling sorry or making up, and all the times when I just did not care.

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

everytime i had a argument or an ego problem with any one , i would ask my self if i was to die today will I regret not having said sorry and if the answer came as yes i would say sorry.

I always thought loss of time was the biggest loss, because i fear the fact that i might not have time enough to care and to love and to give...

broca's area said...

very much true!.."life is too short to worry abt small things"

Goli said...

@Navreet: Thats a nice way of looking at things and that reminds me of that novel "Veronika decides to Die".

@brocasarea: :)

Priya said...

I so agree.. but that we are humans, some feelings just take over at times which wouldnt be the ideal way to live!
Thats why we regret, forgive and forget.

Vaidehi Dongre said...

I think it's very human to get mad & not want to apologise, but I think time heals all wounds & it's never too late to say sorry.

Pradeep Nair said...

I think people who drive on the road should read your blog; and learn a few lessons. The way people fly into a rage, is amazing. Not only on the road, in many other place too... I don't know why people get so angry... True, it's a natural thing... but just as we hold an umbrella when it rains, should we find some method to control our anger. I am glad that you and many others have found one.

Anonymous said...

alexander made u feel sorry???
the comment was for alexander not you ..to you the jain would have said ..when r you buying the flat and the car